Richard L. Morrison, Partner
Rick Morrison offers a quarter-century of experience in both oil and gas and real estate law. On the oil and gas side, Rick represents all sizes of exploration and production companies, preparing title opinions for the drilling of and payment from oil and gas wells, negotiating and preparing all upstream and midstream contracts, and performing due diligence assets review for property purchase and sale agreements.
On the real estate side, Rick helps clients buy, sell, lease, develop, and finance commercial and residential real estate. His expertise includes negotiating and drafting: purchase and sale contracts; commercial leases; development agreements; joint venture agreements; limited and general partnership agreements; closing documents; and other documentation necessary to form and maintain real estate holding or general business entities. Additionally, Rick has helped negotiate rights and permits for Central Texas real estate developers, and has represented lenders and borrowers in secured commercial real estate transactions and SBA-insured loan transactions.
A native Texan, Rick grew up in the small Houston-area town of Santa Fe and the large Dallas-area suburb of Plano. He earned his B.B.A. in Finance at The University of Texas at Austin and his J.D. at the University of Houston, and stayed in Houston to launch his legal career. Rick eventually returned to Austin to join RashChapman, where he made partner within 5 years, and has spent the past 15+ years helping clients by applying his affinity for numbers to an atypically math-intensive area of the law.
Rick and his wife, Jennifer, spend a lot of family time at swim and track meets for their son and twin daughters. Rick also has a passion for fishing and Longhorn sports.
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance, The University of Texas at Austin
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, University of Houston
Professional Licenses, Affiliations, & Honors
- Attorney at Law, Texas 1994
- State Bar of Texas – Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law and Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Professional Landmen’s Association
- Real Estate Council of Austin
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Texas Land Title Association
- Attorney at Law, Pennsylvania 2011
- State Bar of Pennsylvania
- Attorney at Law, Wyoming 2011
- State Bar of Wyoming
- Attorney at Law, Montana 2013
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation